Browse Items (1005 total)

  • Tags: Seafaring and shipping

COLLINS.129.tif
The Mosel was a steamer owned by Norddeutscher Lloyd Line.

She had been plying across the North Atlantic with migrants from Bremen to New York, via Southampton, for almost nine years. In 1875, two years after her launch, a bomb planted on board…

COLLINS.126.tif
The S.S Minnehaha was a 13,443 tons gross Atlantic Transport Company steam liner that went aground on the eastern side of Scilly Rock at 12:50 on April 18th 1910. The Minnehaha was built and registered in Belfast by Harland & Wolf I 1900. On passage…

COLLINS.125.tif
The Minnehaha of Liverpool wrecked at Peninnis Head, between the point and Pulpit Rock on January 18th 1874.

This was the wooden, 845-ton vessel, was carrying a cargo of guano. Master Jones had reached Falmouth on January 16th 1874 from Peru. It…

COLLINS.123.tif
The only visible wreckage on the Doom Bar is the bottom tanks and plating of the minelayer HMS Medea, wrecked on January 28th 1939 during the hurricane which destroyed the Glasgow Collier Winston near Zennor. 

The 540-ton Medea, launched in 1915…

COLLINS.121A.tif
The Mary Hannah was on passage from Cardiff to Plymouth with a cargo of coal.

Disabled after the main boom was damaged in a huge sea and gale off the Lizard, she headed for Newlyn but was unable to enter the harbour and ran ashore at Tolcarne.…

COLLINS.119.tif
The French schooner MARIE CELINE, Blanchard master, sailed from Falmouth port yesterday for Gijon, with pitch, and during last night's gale went ashore near Portscatho, and likely to become a total wreck. Crew saved.

She was lying on rocks badly…

COLLINS.117A.tif
On October 15th 1889, the miners of St Just awoke to find the Cunarder Malta on the rocks, half a mile east of Cape Cornwall, beneath the Wheal Castle Mine.

The 2,244-ton Malta had been launched in 1865 by G. & J. Thompson of Glasgow for the…

COLLINS.115.tif
The Lyminge was a steamer owned by the Messrs of Constants of Cardiff. The vessel wrecked at Gurnards Hedges on September 19th 1931.

Description from Richard Larn and Clive Carter, Cornish Shipwrecks: The South Coast (Newton Abbot: David &…

COLLINS.114.tif
The Lutria was abandoned 62.5 miles S.W. of Bishops Rock. Master Capt. Duamantaras. Crew of 28 rescued by 2 of their own boats, including 2 Sea Kings and West German helicopters.
ref. W.M News. 12/02/72

COLLINS.104.tif
Close to the tip of Land's End lie the Pearl Rocks, just awash, and here on September 28th 1921, the Swansea steamer Lambaness, bound for Barry to St Malo with coal steamed right over the reef in thick hazy wether.

She sank until only her masts…

COLLINS.96A.tif
The Juan Ferrer of Valencia was a handsome, well-equipped motor coaster of nearly 700 tons, thrashing her way up towards Land's end on her usual run from her home port of Liverpool.

Owned by Frederick Ferrer of Valencia, the Juan Ferrer was only…

COLLINS.91A.tif
Shortly before 5 am and on November 3rd 1962, the coastguard on watch at Cape Cornwall saw the navigation lights of the 250-ton Dieppe trawler, Jeanne Gougy, about two miles offshore.

She was steering southwards and he was expecting the lights to…

COLLINS.87.tif
The elderly Swansea brigantine, Industry, was run ashore while coal-laden from Britonferry to Treport on September 12th 1912. Four stalwarts, prizing the tobacco on board, decided on a raid.

One would engage the guard on Harlan bridge, lighting…

COLLINS.86.tif
The Russian barque, Indefatigable wrecked on the January 22nd 1910 at St. Mawes Castles.

After being weather-bound at Falmouth for a week, she left harbour on January 22nd heading for Cardiff, in tow with the tug Challenge. Off Land's End the sea…

COLLINS.85.tif
The Horsa of Liverpool sunk twenty-one miles south-west of the Bishop Rock on Tuesday 4 April 1893. It was the rocks in Bread and Cheese One, St. Martins which tore the holes in her plating.

Owned by Star Navigation Company of Liverpool, the…

COLLINS.83.tif
The Henry Harvey (1857) was bound from Runcorn to Lelant with a cargo of coal when it missed stays trying to enter Penzance in a NE gale and heavy seas on 25 March 1898. The anchor was dropped but the cable parted, and the ship drifted onto Woollan's…

COLLINS.80A.tif
The 1,597-ton steel ship, Hansy, launched at Dumbarton by Alexander Macmillan & Sons in 1885 as the Aberfoyle.

In the course of a somewhat chequered career, she had been picked up in Bass Strait, Tasmania in 1896 by a steamer which had found her…

COLLINS.78.tif
The 1,491 ton three masted, steel barque Gunvor of Fredrickstadt, Norway.

The Gunvor was lost at Pedn Boar on April 6th 1912, while on passage from Caleta to Falmouth with nitrates. So close inshore was she that her bowsprit overhung the rocks…

COLLINS.74.tif
The Schooner Golden light were driven ashore at Chyandour on December 7th 1886. The Schooner was from Penzance.

Description from Richard Larn and Clive Carter, Cornish Shipwrecks: The South Coast (Newton Abbot: David & Charles, 1971), p.178.

COLLINS.69.tif
The Giles Lang, a 80-ton was a St. Ives schooner. Launched by Tredwen of Padstow in 1864, she had a chequered career, losing her skipper in one of several collisions off Lizard, and in May 1894 her crew had been rescued by lifeboat in Tranlee Bay.…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2