Browse Items (13753 total)

JDC 361.tif
Henry Kitched appears on many postcards, etc. Appears in the Newlyn School Forbes' painting 'The Lighthouse'.
Played the fiddle and led a small musical group at Boase Street Primitive Methodist Chapel about 1905.

JDC 360.tif
The steelwork 'gantry' is being installed to transport the Penlee Quary stone from the 'Bins' to the ships side (conveyor system). This replace the narrow gauge railway in use from about 1902. In far left corner is the slipway for repairing fishing…

JDC 359.tif
View across to the cliff at Newlyn Town. Small boats around at about half tide; most have motors fitted by now. Fishermen's House Pub at top, centre. Building to the far right incorporated fish tanks; now all area cleared to a grassy bank.

Tags: ,

JDC 358.tif
All members of Newlyn Centenary Primitive Methodist Church at Gwavas Road, Newlyn, TR18 5LX. Taken soon after building of the church in 1927 at a cost of £5,047.
Estimate picture taken in 1929. Built on the site of previous old thatched…

PC 134.tif
Three schoolchildren, boy, girl and older sister

Tags:

PC 123.tif
Young Schoolgirl standing by Velvet Chair

Tags:

JDC 357.tif
Same area as JDC 355 and JDC 356, but looks like a later time, estimate 1912-1914.

JDC 356.tif
Same as JDC 355, except the photo is smaller.

PC 110.tif
Young Woman in Black dress and Coat

Tags:

PC96.tif
Elderly man seated with two younger women standing, possibly mother and daughter.

Tags:

JDC 355.tif
This appears to be before completion of the Penlee Gardens, left (later renamed Richard Bolitho Gardens), February 1914.
Look like the surrounding site is being cleared. Large house believed to be Hosking - Alexandra Dairy.
Area behind the horses…

JDC 354.tif
Same area of Mousehole as JDC 353 but appears to be of an earlier period

JDC 353.tif
Lady walking with bucket and another lady engaged in hanging out the washing. Judging by their dress, this suggests the dates to be 1920-1925.

JDC 352.tif
Location unknown, most probably West Penwith.
Possibly a glimpse of the sea at top right corner.
Four ladies seen at cottage front, cobbled forecourt.

JDC 351.tif
Built of granite from Lamorna Quarry.
For more details, see JDC 350.

Tags:

JDC 350.tif
For almost 20 years, services were held in a building called The Reading Room in Newlyn Town (on St Peter's Hill). Building of the church took place during the incumbency of the third vicar, John Pope Vibert, a Penzance man.
In the early English…

Tags:

JDC 349.tif
Built looking south at the head of the harbour, incorporated offices for the fish company agents and also the Harbour Master and Commissioners, etc.
The Coombe River outlet was diverted behind the North Pier to accommodate this building.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2