Cretehill was used for refuelling steam powered, visiting East coast drifters amongst others. It was badly damaged by a German air attack in May 1941. Refloated and towed away in 1949. The vessel behind and moored alongside the Newlyn North Pier is…
Celebration of the laying of the foundation stone of Newlyn Centenary Primitive Methodist Church. Some thatched cottages were demolished to make way for this building (see JDC 358 for the established building).
Cost at the time was £5,047. Still in…
Demolished at the same time as the 'Clearances' (1938-39).
Not sure if is was actually a factory, but more likely to be a term used by the locals.
Rare picture to see in isolation. Can be identified in larger Newlyn Town views.
The Western Green in the foreground is the cleared site of Navy Inn homes demolished in 1939 (similar to JDC 365).
The square block house in the right bottom corner is the public air raid shelter created during WW2.
The large vessel in the harbour…
From time to time, the dredger would visit Newlyn, operating inside the harbour and nearby. Dredged material was tipped into a barge alongside; when full, it was towed well down into Mount's Bay and dumped on shoal ground.
This is a Rare photo!