The Regal Cinema Penzance

ORCH.SL.0370.tif

Title

The Regal Cinema Penzance

Description

The Regal Cinema Penzance.

A former Baptist chapel built in 1836 and later converted into a cinema. Converted into the Picturedrome on 5th December 1910 by Robert Thomas Cinemas Ltd.
British Talking Pictures sound was installed in the early-1930’s. In January 1936 the Picturedrome was renamed The Regal Cinema with seating for 500. The Regal Cinema was then acquired by Sound & Movement Cinemas Ltd. by 1942 and then, by 1945, by Cornwall Circuit Ltd. By 1955 the seating capacity had been reduced to 408. The Regal Cinema closed on 8th February 1958. The blame was put on the Entertainments Tax and a mock tombstone was placed outside the cinema bearing the inscription “Here lies the Regal Cinema, killed by tax.” This tax, on cinema tickets introduced in 1916, was abolished two years later, in 1960. Demolished in the early 1960's and now the site of the Penlowarth Building situated on St Mary's Terrace.

See also other images by searching; 'Regal Cinema'

Publisher

Morrab Library

Rights

Morrab Library

Format

35mm Slide

Identifier

ORCH.SL.0370

Coverage

Penzance

Geolocation